Baroque garden elements still determine the basic structure of the park today. At the end of the 19th century, a garden was created here “in a mixed style”. Areas designed in the style of an “English garden” combine with “architectonic garden” structures to form a park and garden landscape. A sculpture park and an herb garden have been added in recent years.
The town of Kleve was already a centre of romantic landscape painting in the 19th century. The “Klever Romantik” circle of artists gathered around Dutch painter Barend Cornelius Koekkoek. His house, built in 1848 beside the Belvedere in the heart of the lower town, is today a museum for “Klever Romantik” painting and is one of the most attractive artist’s houses in the Rhineland. Behind the house, a garden on slightly rising ground features a curved oval terrace wall and a fountain dating from about 1910.
The Kurhaus Kleve museum is housed in the classical bathhouses of the area formerly known as “Bad Cleve”, near the Baroque garden of Johann Moritz von Nassau-Siegen. The museum has a collection of modern art (including Beuys, Christo, Klein, Uecker and Serra) and works from the estate of Ewald Mataré (1887-1965), the sculptor, painter and graphic artist.
Burg Clive (Clive Castle) was founded on a steep slope above the old course of the Rhine in the 10th century. It has also been known as the Schwanenburg since the 19th century. Today it is the seat of the regional court.