A good starting point for a walk is the market square, which is dominated by the Town Hall. It was built between 1325 and 1612 and is regarded as a building of European significance.
The 13th-century Nikolaikirche (St Nicholas’ Church) with its twin towers – the “unalike brothers” – is Lemgo’s most famous landmark. The allegorical representations of the planets make the planet house of 1590/95 one of the most original half-timbered gable houses in Germany.
The Hexenbürgermeisterhaus (witch mayor house) of 1568/71 with its imposing façade in the Weser Renaissance style is named after Mayor Cothmann, who is regarded as the most notorious “witch-hunter” of the 17th century. As a municipal museum, it includes documentation of the way the subject of “witch-hunting” has been treated.
The Junker house is the creation of the architect, painter and woodcarver Karl Junker (1850-1912). This half-timbered house is covered in pilasters and cornices made from carved boards, battens and laths. The ornamentation is continued inside the house.
The former ramparts are also worth a visit. They form a green belt around the town as part of the “Garden Landscape of Ostwestfalen Lippe”.