X

EUROPEAN GARDEN HERITAGE NETWORK – EGHN

Schlosspark Schieder

Schieder Palace is surrounded by a Baroque garden to the south, which is adjoined to the north by a 19th-century English landscape park. The Baroque part of the park was restored some years ago on the basis of a plan dating from 1775, the restoration being completed in spring 2009. The view from the terrace of the palace cafe transports visitors back to the time of the garden’s creation, revealing the parterre with the fountain basin and three terraces connected by double flights of steps and cascades with masks spouting water. The sumptuous American bottlebrush buckeye on the eastern side of the Baroque garden is also of note.

To the north and east of the palace are large park areas created in landscape style, which have their origins in two extensions dating from the 19th century. Fully grown park trees and open areas of grass with sweeping views determine the park’s character.

Schieder Palace is surrounded by a Baroque garden to the south, which is adjoined to the north by a 19th-century English landscape park. The Baroque part of the park was restored some years ago on the basis of a plan dating from 1775, the restoration being completed in spring 2009. The view from the terrace of the palace cafe transports visitors back to the time of the garden’s creation, revealing the parterre with the fountain basin and three terraces connected by double flights of steps and cascades with masks spouting water. The sumptuous American bottlebrush buckeye on the eastern side of the Baroque garden is also of note.

ETHG_bl_schieder_1

To the east of the Baroque garden, the path leads to the Schweibach stream and the “Prince’s House”. The stream crosses the whole park from south to north with occasional interruptions.

ETHG_bl_schieder_2

To the north and east of the palace are large park areas created in landscape style, which have their origins in two extensions dating from the 19th century. Fully grown park trees and open areas of grass with sweeping views determine the park’s character.

The Butterborn can be found in the landscape-style part of the park. This is a pond which is fed from a spring at its southern tip. The spring is contained in a grotto made of roughly-hewn quarry stone. It was used as a cooling chamber for butter when the palace was the summer residence of the princes of Lippe.

ETHG_bl_schieder_3

At the northern edge of the park, visitors come to the northern entrance with its Baroque garden gate dating from 1738. The gate was moved there when the park was extended in 1862/63. The inscription refers to Count Albrecht-Wolfgang, who was responsible for the gate’s construction. There is a wonderful view from the gate along the avenue of linden trees to the distant palace. The linden avenue originally continued to the north on the other side and stretched far beyond the Emmer river.

After passing through coniferous-type areas of the park and past two ponds dating from the extension of 1862, visitors finally reach the two buildings erected in 1817 by Princess Pauline of Lippe as a greenhouse and garden house respectively. The “flower house” was restored some years ago in keeping with principles appropriate to the care of protected structures. Together, the buildings form the boundary between the two 19th-century extensions to the park. Visitors finally reach the northern palace forecourt and palace by walking along the linden avenue.

A stroll around the garden can be rounded off very pleasantly with a view of the Baroque garden from the terrace of the palace café on the south side of the palace.

Schlosspark Schieder covers approximately 19 hectares and has enjoyed protected status since 1999. Combined with the 19th-century English landscape park to the north of the palace, it thus represents more than 300 years of garden history in Lippe and is therefore of great significance in terms of garden history, not just for Lippe but also on a regional level.

Besucherinfo

Address:
Schlosspark Schieder
Domäne 3 – Bürger- und Rathaus Schieder
32816 Schieder-Schwalenberg
(Eingabe GPS: Schieder-Schwalenberg, Domäne)

Website:
www.schlosspark-schieder.de
www.schieder-schwalenberg.de

Management: Stadt Schieder-Schwalenberg

Opening times: Daily, all year

Admission Prices: Free entry

Customer Services:
Restaurant/Café:
In the house
WC: In the house
Parking: Please use parking close to the “Bürger- und Rathaus” (Town Hall)

Tourist Information:
Bürger- und Rathaus Schieder
Domäne 3
32816 Schieder-Schwalenberg
Fon: 05282/601-0, Fax: 05282/601-35, info@schieder-schwalenberg.de

Further information:
Benches: yes
Average visitor duration: 1 hour
Accessibility: Main paths are fully accessible
Dogs: Dogs on leash
Bicycles: No bikes