The municipal castle park is a popular place with the citizens of Siegen due to its tranquil location above the city, its expansive lawns, its numerous trees and shrubs and the colourful blossoming of its flowerbeds. The annual show of blossoms begins in spring with approximately 60,000 tulips. These are followed by geraniums, fuchsia, tuberous begonias and other well-known plants which are grown in the city’s own nursery.
A site plan dating from 1736 already shows various gardens directly at the Upper Castle. The “Flower Garden” was entered by crossing a drawbridge behind the castle chapel. The garden bordered on theSackturm (Sack Tower) and the Hexenturm (Witches’ Tower). Prisoners were held in both towers. A gate led from the “Flower Garden” into the “Great Garden”. The Jesuit College with a church and its own garden could be found directly in the immediate vicinity of the Upper Castle. To the front of the castle were also the “Hare Garden” and the armoury, which has now been converted into a student residence.
The municipal castle park is a popular place with the citizens of Siegen due to its tranquil location above the city, its expansive lawns, its numerous trees and shrubs and the colourful blossoming of its flowerbeds. The annual show of blossoms begins in spring with approximately 60,000 tulips. These are followed by geraniums, fuchsia, tuberous begonias and other well-known plants which are grown in the city’s own nursery. Replanting takes place three times a year. Up to 130,000 plants for use in Siegen’s green spaces are cultivated annually in the municipal training centre for future gardeners.
Contemporary sculptures can be found in the castle garden. The “Rubens Fountain” by Siegerland sculptor Hermann Kuhmichel (1898-1965) is located at the “Hexenturm”. It commemorates the Flemish painter Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640). This portrayal from 1935 symbolises the long-standing dispute between the cities of Cologne, Antwerp and Siegen as to Rubens’ city of birth. The question was finally resolved in favour of Siegen. A year after his birth, however, the family moved to Cologne.
Nine paintings by Baroque painter Peter Paul Rubens are on display in the Siegerlandmuseum, which was opened in the Upper Castle in 1905.
The Upper Castle originated as a mediaeval hill castle which was at first jointly owned by the Archbishop of Cologne and the Count of Nassau. Later, when the castle belonged solely to the Nassau dynasty, it was restructured, serving at times as the residence of the Counts of Nassau. The city of Siegen bought the castle from the Prussian king in 1888. The castle park ultimately became a citizens’ park which was open to the public.
Two raised bunkers were erected on the green areas during the National Socialist era. The structures were partially integrated into the castle’s historical fortifications. After the Second World War, the overgrown castle park was reinstated and in the 1970s, it was adapted to the taste in gardens of the time.
A varied programme of cultural events with concerts and theatrical performances is held under the bright yellow umbrellas of the music pavilion during the summer months. Cultural life can be found throughout the park during the “Rubensfest” and the “Freundschaftsfest” (“Friendship Festival”).
Castle park at the upper castle
Owner: City of Siegen
Hours: 8:00 to 18:00
Café / Restaurant: Yes
WC: In the castle
Parking: free at the castle
Benches in the park: Yes
Barrier-free access: The main routes are accessible to people with mobility disabilities